Exercising, diet control, naturopathy, and weight loss supplements are known ways for weight reduction. When all these methods fail and one does not get his desired result then weight loss surgeries are an inevitable option left for extremely obese people.
People with diabetes, high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease have a high chance of stroke because of their excessive weight.
Nowadays, doctors are recommending these weight loss surgeries for quick and immediate relief from weight loss and its related diseases.
Most of the surgeries require a drastic lifestyle change and strict diet control and one who escapes it may face serious complications.
Here are different most common types of weight loss surgery.
Gastric Bypass Surgery
It is also known as Roux-en-Y gastric bypass.
It is the most popular method of the surgeries for weight loss and within six months one shall see drastic weight loss. In this surgery, the stomach is divided into two parts, the upper part is smaller and directly connects with the small intestine. This upper part is also known as a pouch. This pouch is less able to accommodate a large portion of food. This will limit food intake greatly. Because of the less space available to accommodate food in the stomach, the person feels early fullness and thus he eats less.
As food now bypasses the part of the stomach and the small intestine, the body absorbs fewer calories.
the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases research found that this surgery is relatively safe for weight loss. (1)
Vagal Blockade or vBloc
The vagus nerve runs from the brain to the stomach.
Its one of the main functionality is to tell stomach when it is full.
The vagal blockade is a pacemaker-like device which is implanted under the skin near the rib cage.
The device blocks the signals sent by the brain through the vagus nerve to the stomach to let you know you are hungry, so ultimately you do not feel that you are hungry and feel fuller and satisfied.
It is a similar method like gastric bypass in separating two sections of the stomach. It is laparoscopic surgery.
In this surgery, surgeons use an inflatable band to separate the upper part(smaller) of the stomach to the lower part(larger). And there is no “bypass” in this surgery.
Both the sections are connected through a small channel, which slows down the emptying of the upper stomach(smaller). Food needs to be well chewed and the person feels full after ½ to 1 cup of food. If you eat more then you will vomit right back.
In this surgery, part of the stomach is separated and removed from the body. The tubelike remaining smaller portion of the stomach is left. As now the size of the stomach becomes smaller, so it can’t hold much food.
Small size stomach produces less appetite-regulating hormone ghrelin, which may reduce the desire for food intake.
It is a restrictive weight loss surgery, which includes deflated balloon in the stomach (through the mouth). After placing in the stomach, it is filled with the saline solution, and ultimately you feel full and curb your hunger.
There is no surgery involved and no hospital stay required. It is the cheapest and least invasive weight loss surgery.
Milk is considered a super-rich and wholesome nutritional supplement.
It is consumed throughout the world for ages.
Milk is a white liquid that mammals create in mammary glands for feeding their newborns. The babies of the mammals are supposed to consume milk until they are big enough to hunt or eat what their parents eat.
Cow’s milk is the most commonly consumed in western countries. Buffalo, sheep and goat milk are also consumed significantly. In hilly regions and northern regions, yak and reindeer milk is consumed. (1)
Milk coming out from dairy is pasteurized milk and safe to consume after pasteurization. (2)
Nutritional Value of the Milk
Per 100gm serving. (3)
|Total lipid (fat) [g]||0.97|
|Carbohydrate, by difference [g]||4.99|
|Fiber, total dietary [g]||0|
|Sugars, total [g]||5.2|
|Calcium, Ca [mg]||125|
|Iron, Fe [mg]||0.03|
|Magnesium, Mg [mg]||11|
|Phosphorus, P [mg]||95|
|Potassium, K [mg]||150|
|Sodium, Na [mg]||44|
|Zinc, Zn [mg]||0.42|
|Vitamin C, total ascorbic acid [mg]||0|
|Vitamin B-6 [mg]||0.04|
|Folate, DFE [µg]||5|
|Vitamin B-12 [µg]||0.47|
|Vitamin A, RAE [µg]||14|
|Vitamin A, IU [IU]||47|
|Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol) [mg]||0.01|
|Vitamin D (D2 + D3) [µg]||0|
|Vitamin D [IU]||1|
|Vitamin K (phylloquinone) [µg]||0.1|
|Fatty acids, total saturated [g]||0.63|
|Fatty acids, total monounsaturated [g]||0.28|
Incredible Health Benefits of Milk
Due to its high nutritional values. There are several very incredible health benefits of consuming milk.
1. Rich calcium source: Milk is considered as a good source of calcium and calcium is responsible to protect from bone loss, arthritis condition, migraine headache etc.
2. Improve diet and vitamins intake: It is packed with all major vitamins and minerals so it is considered the best wholesome supplement.
3. Reduces acidity: Drinking cold milk may provide immediate relief from acidity.
4. Wholesome food: A glass of milk contains all the major vitamins and minerals that our body needs, hence it is considered as wholesome food.
5. Healthy bones: As it is a good source of calcium, it is good for bones.
6. High source of protein: Milk is considered as a good source quality proteins like casein, whey protein etc.
7. Multipurpose ingredient: Milk is used with different beverages and other food items. It adds nutritional value while consuming with oatmeal or muesli. Cornflakes with milk are very popular at breakfast. In western countries, smoothies are very popular.
Fresh tomatoes, cilantro add delicious flavor to it. You can’t resist to have it.!!
Sugars do present naturally in foods such as dairy, fruits, but we are not going into these types of sugars.
To keep track of how much sugar you are consuming is an important part of a healthy lifestyle, especially if you are a diabetic of pre-diabetic.
Sugars are added to foods like cakes, biscuits, shakes, chocolate, juices, cold drinks etc. These ADDED SUGARS are very dangerous and need to be avoided.
ADDED SUGARS in foods contain lots of calories, so eating these sugars lead to weight gain and other issues related to it.
These sugary foods contain calories but lack in other important nutrients. To maintain a healthy life one should eat these sugary foods once in a while. Our body needs a balanced diet on a regular basis and major chunks of the calories and energy should come from a healthy and nutritional diet.
An Extra ADDED SUGAR can cause tooth decay whereas sugars found in the fruits are less likely to cause tooth decay.
A study shows that children and adults consume more sugar than is recommended. Free sugar recommended intake set by WHO is 10% of total energy intake. (1)
These are the following steps to cut down sugar intake.
- Take fresh fruits instead of cakes, pie, cookies and other sweetened snacks.
- Cut the amount of sugar you add on coffee, tea, and other beverages.
- Drink pain soda instead of SUGAR ADDED aerated cold drinks. 500 ml cola bottle contains 17 cubes of sugar.
- Always read the food label properly and only go for less sugar as an ingredient of the product. If you found ADDED SUGAR on the label then avoid it.
- Instead of spreading jam or honey on the bread, try low-fat spread or sliced fruits.
- Syrups are very high in sugar content. Do not use it frequently.
- Wholegrain breakfast is good but not sugar coated.
- Use spices instead of sugar to enhance the taste.
Iron is an essential mineral for our body. The main function of the Iron is to transport oxygen in throughout our body. (1)
If you don’t have enough iron in your diet then you may feel weak because oxygen cannot reach to your tissues and organs.
Iron deficiency can lead to anemia, the condition in which the body lacks red blood cells. (2)
Vegetarians, vegans, and women are more likely to suffer from iron deficiency.
There are two types of iron, heme iron, and non-heme iron. Heme iron is found in meat, poultry, and seafood. Heme iron is easier to get absorbed in the body than non-heme iron. The most non-heme iron source is plant-based. Nonheme iron is more easily absorbed if it is consumed with vitamin C.
The daily requirement of iron as per RDA is 8gm for men and 18gm for women. (3)
In this article, we are going to see top iron-rich foods.
Oysters, shellfish are tasty and high in nutrition. In 3 ounce properly cooked oyster one can get 8mg of iron. So it is considered as a good source of iron.
Cooked or boiled 1 cup spinach contains 6mg of iron which is 36% of recommended daily value(RDV) in iron.
Cooked 3 ounces liver contains 5mg of iron. And it is considered as a good source of iron.
Chickpeas, soyabean, lentils are some of the common types of legumes. And these are a good source of iron.
5. Dark Chocolate
Dark chocolate is a high source of iron. It is also very delicious and nutritious.
Tofu is popular among vegans and vegetarians and is a good source of iron.
Kiwi has been native to China for hundreds of years, and it was unknown till 1962 in North America where it was first introduced in that year.
It is named after the Kiwi bird of New Zealand because they both are brown, small and furry.
There are different species of kiwi available in the market. There are fuzzy and golden kiwis, the latter one is sweeter and more aromatic.
Kiwi can grow in any climate and temperature. New Zealand, Chile, and Italy are leading Kiwi producers.
Kiwi fruit is the power pack of nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, folate, and potassium. Due to its flavor and full of nutrients, it is very useful for health. It is also a good source of antioxidants and fiber.
These are some benefits of the Kiwi.
1.High in vitamin C
Kiwis are high in vitamin C. If we see the nutritional break up of kiwi, it contains 154% of vitamin C in 100gms of kiwi. Vitamin C act as an antioxidant. It boosts the immunity of the body against harmful bacterias.
2.Helps in Asthma
As kiwi is a high source of vitamin C, it provides relief to the asthmatic patient. Vitamin C and antioxidant may have a beneficial effect on the lung function.
3.Rich source of fiber
Kiwi is fully loaded with dietary fiber and it helps to prevent several diseases. Fiber-rich food may help to reduce blood pressure and also help to keep control of cholesterol and blood sugar level.
Kiwi is full of fibers and it also contains an enzyme called actinidin which together help to aid digestion.
Kiwi contains vitamin C and vitamin K which act as antioxidant and prevent skin degradation and keep a youthful skin.
Kiwi is a good source of folate.
Folate helps in the development of the fetus and that is why it is good for a pregnant woman. Folate is also good for growing children.
Turmeric is also known as Curcuma, Curcuma aromatica, Curcuma domestica, Halid, Haldar etc. in different regions globally.
Turmeric is a root and used excessively in kitchens. It is bright yellow in color having a slightly bitter taste. For Indian curries, it is staple spice.
Turmeric has many medicinal properties and since ages, it has been used to cure several health issues.
Benefits of Turmeric
Antioxidant curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric. Curmucin is responsible for anti-inflammatory effects. (1)
- Depression: Curcumin, an antioxidant found in turmeric is useful in reducing depression symptoms.
- Cancer: curcumin can influence the natural treatment of several cancers. (2)
- Anxiety: Several animal studies show that curcumin can positively impact anxiety. (3) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6029466/
- Arthritis: Curcumin’s anti-inflammatory property shows significant relief in arthritis pain.
- Ulcers: It’s high anti-inflammatory property aids to cure ulcers.
- Liver disease: Research shows that taking turmeric extract can help in reducing liver-related issues.
- Healing Property: It is confirmed by various researches that turmeric helps to heal the infection. It has antibacterial and antiseptic quality.
- Lowes Cholesterol: Turmeric can reduce high cholesterol and blood fats called triglycerides.
Turmeric is possibly safe while consuming by mouth or applies to the skin. It is nontoxic.
One should always consult his/her doctor if any specific medical condition.
Due to its therapeutic properties turmeric is considered as an effective alternative for many conventional medicines. However, still more research needs to be done to determine its effects on other diseases as well.
Products available in the Market:
There are various products available online.
- Turmeric extract/capsules
2. Other beauty related products are also available online like soap, face pack, cream etc.